Thursday, August 07, 2008

Doomsday -A DVD Review-


I'm a sucker for this type of movie, but I won't be fucked with. In the genre of end-of-the-world type films this one is one of the best I've seen.

Doomsday, written and directed by Neil Marshall, is a great example of what can happen if you take the best bits of action films, zombie films (this is NOT a zombie film!), and thrillers and mix them with hardcore violence and a touch of drama. Heads roll! Literally!!! Over and over!!!!


Let's get right to it; it's 2008 and a virus has killed most of the population of Scotland. The U.K., in response to the ensuing anarchy, has quarantined the entire country behind a giant wall and the military guards this wall with iron fists. The virus MUST be contained at all costs.

Flash forward to 2035 and the virus has threatened to resurface in London. The Prime Minister has decided to send a military team into Glasgow to find the last survivors, among whom is a doctor reputed to be the only man who can find a cure. The team, headed by Major Eden Sinclair (Rhona Mitra), is told if they can't find said cure then don't come back. As the narrator tells us, "it's medieval up there!". It sure as fuck is! Many more survived than expected and they've started from scratch, creating a brutal, cannibalistic culture of punk rock types, circa 1970. I'm talkin' mohawks, pins in noses, dance parties (!), very pseudo Mad Max.

Crazy non-stop action ensues in pursuit of the good doctor, played by a menacing Malcolm McDowell. No spoilers here.


Doomsday was made in 2008 and was just released on DVD. I don't know if you heard of it but I didn't. I wish I had cos I'd have seen it sooner!

Rottentomatoes.com gave it a well deserved (for the genre) 48%.


Here's the shit; the story unfolds in quick, neat and complete scenes which move always forward. The premise is explained quickly but in enough detail that you know what you're getting into. When we fast-forward to the future, which is most of the movie, we are again brought up to speed efficiently before all hell -and MUCH action- breaks loose. And when I say 'much action', I mean me leaning forward with one hand over my mouth and the other clutching my armrest kinda 'much action'.

Rhona Mitra (The Number 23, Skinwalkers), is at first a bit affected as the rebel-with-nothing-to-lose Maj. Sinclair but quickly becomes the rock hard hero you cheer for under your breath so as not to miss anything onscreen. She has no problem sword fighting, kick-boxing, chopping, slicing, climbing, jumping, you name it! She kicks ass! Her character development exists wholly offscreen; in the prologue when her mother leaves her as a child to be saved by the military, sacrificing herself. It's a beautiful scene and had me hooked. As an adult she doesn't have any more redeeming qualities except that you're rooting not so much for her but for her to accomplish her mission. And the fact that she's an effective leader of her team. Mostly.

The body count is high, and all the deaths are fun. Some outright twisted! The special effects are so good that at several points I gasped out loud amazed that what I was watching was just a movie. The scene in the train station when the biker flips over the turnstiles is so messed up I can't believe noone died making this picture! The violence is very graphic. The action -from fight scenes with swords to car chases- is really well done. It's like you just sat down in a rollercoaster and someone tells you a kid was killed on this ride last week. You know it should be safe but you're still scared shitless and enjoying it at the same time. Or was it just me?

Rent this movie NOW if you like good action/thrillers!

Thats it for this review. I might go watch it again!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith and I both thought this movie was fantastic! Kept me on the edge of my seat the WHOLE TIME!!
San

3:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home