Saturday, March 19, 2011

Easy A - A DVD Review


As much as I wanted to see this film I kept letting it get pushed aside. Somehow I managed to not see it. Fate, or something. Then I showed up for work yesterday and I'm confronted by a co-worker, Kevin, who asks me; "Have you seen Easy A yet?". I say no, but I mean to. He says; "I don't wanna ruin anything for you, but,", and then he quotes the movie in his possibly fake english accent, as if he's the character Brandon from the movie (Dan Byrd), "I'm drunk, what's up bitches!" Thats when I knew I had an emotional connection to this film.

And then I watched it. Partly because of Kevin's enthusiasm, partly because he was right about Pirahna, but mostly because I love Emma Stone. I watched the movie for my prodigy Emma (I singled her out of Superbad as a star!).


The Poop:

Easy A is a comedy Directed by Will Gluck about a mousy girl named Olive who excuses herself from a weekend with a friend by lyeing that she has a date with a college boy, with whom she will insinuate she had... sex! Come Monday she's forced to expound on the lie until it grows beyond her control and takes on a life of it's own; namely, Olive is the first girl in the school to lose her virginity and all the students are thrown into turmoil! Now, this is a school in California, but it's also a school in a movie, so, y'know, we move on. Soon she becomes known as the go-to girl if you wanna lose your virginity, which oddly escalates Olives' popularity both as the decider of cool and the deflowerer of virgins.

Olive's popularity for all the wrong reasons grows, as does her awareness that the religious right that has begun targeting her is barking up the wrong tree. What does she care? She's having fun!


The Review:

When I saw her in Superbad I said that Emma Stone was gonna be huge. She has that quality. Let me just say that were it not for her this would not have made a blip on any radar. The movie was good, but only because she was in it. This will not go down in the books as a great teen comedy, which it tried so hard to be be, but it won't. It very smartly referenced many John Hughes movies. That said they were also very obvious, and not particularly imaginative. The script was aided I imagine a lot by Emma Stone's proven ability to improv. She just has a natural gift for funny situations that seems real. I don't know, it felt like improv... am I wrong?


I didn't LOVE this movie but I like it, mostly because I like the star, Emma Stone. She's charming and engaging enough to make anyone like it if they give it a chance. It's a funny movie and it might even surprise you. I'm glad I saw it. I may even see it again.

And Kevin (from work): thats not even the funniest line!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home