Sunday, September 07, 2008

Cloverfield -A Review 2.0-

Okay, so the 2.0 in the title refers to the fact that I've reviewed this film here before. I think, however, that since my viewing experience has been quickened so too should my review. Be. Quickened.
*cough*
Toronto is in the grips of TIFF fever! (Great! Just as I recover from Summer-Sweepsitis!) The Toronto International Film Festival is in full swing and hundreds of films are being premiered, so I thought I'd revisit one that I enjoyed. That and I'm dirt poor and can't afford any screenings. 
Cloverfield is good. It takes equal measures Blair Witch (shaky hand-held camera), The Host (mystery monster appears and invades major city), and 9/11 disaster documentary (New York's recent terrors being referred to more than once).
The cast of Cloverfield is mostly unknown, at least to me, though the role of Marlena was a pleasant reappearance of someone I didn't recognize; Lizzy Caplan! She played alterna-girl Janis Ian in 2004s Mean Girls opposite Lindsay Lohan! Too cool! You really respect her talent when you reflect on the Janis character and then see her as someone so different and equally convincing. It's like the powers that be haven't figured her out yet. She's good, and should be better known!
The story is pretty straightforward; a monster attacks Manhattan and a group of friends attempt to flee while trying to save another friend on the other side of the city. There are some good scares and effective emotional moments, as well as a few laughs thanks to chatty, erstwhile documentarian Hud (T.J. Miller), who just can't seem to shut the fuck up. It's okay though cos he's a charmer. 
JJ Abrams (Bad Robot Productions) of Alias and Lost fame is the producer here, with Drew Goddard (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Alias, Lost) writing, and Matt Reeves (The Pallbearer) directing. 
Fans of the thriller genre will enjoy this, as will anyone who likes a good disaster flick. Give it a shot. 
Rottentomatoes.com averaged it at 77% Fresh, which is impressive for the genre! Even my boy Ebert loved it! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home