Saturday, November 25, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth - A DVD Review

As a child of the early 1970s the issue of Global Warming, in fact the term itself, feels relatively new. If I thought about it I'd estimate that I didn't really become aware of such a thing as Global Warming until perhaps the very late 90's. (Okay, I wasn't a news-hound.) But I think I'm not alone in stating that Global Warming is something that only recently has become an important issue to me and society at large. Or so it would seem from my limited point of view.
Al Gore -or as he cheekily introduces himself in this film; The Former Next President of the United States- has been studying and lecturing on what he calls the Global Crisis since the 1970s! This isn't a case of some washed-up ex politician trying to leach some attention, this is a man committed to a cause which as we learn is very personal. Not only to him but to each and every single one of us.
In selling this film I couldn't possibly wow you the way Al can. I don't have all the facts and figures on a teleprompter or on the tip of my tongue. I haven't been studying the issue of climate change in the field alongside the leading scientists. All I did was spend 93 minutes watching a documentary, and I feel more inspired and empowered than I ever have on this issue. This is not a preachy plea for followers of some movement as I thought it might be when I first saw An Inconvenient Truth in the theatres earlier this year.
It's also not a painful session of 'I was right and you were wrong and look how you've fucked yourselves' either. And it's definitely not a boring lecture on abstract ideas that are meaningless to all but academics.
This is an intelligent, down to earth, straightforward look at the facts, numbers and studies that aren't widely reported due to their seeming opposition to big business.
You'll learn exactly what Global Warming is. You'll learn how it affects you, your place in the world, and the whole world itself (and all the other people in it). You'll learn how much damage has been done and more importantly -and eerily- exactly how much damage is yet to come if we don't address the problem now.
In one sobering sequence Gore compares the damage of 9/11 to the effects of a slight melting of the polar ice caps (which is already underway). 'Devestating' doesn't begin to characterize the effects on the New York landscape alone.
Infrequent digressions into his personal history with the issue serve to give the film a heart, helping viewers to recognize the sometimes seemingly small ways we are all affected by the choices we make with regards to the environment. The term Global Warming becomes a personal rather abstract term.

Moments in the film take on an emotional tone, something you wouldn't expect from a subject so grand as the entire world.

The possibility that I could live another fifty years and see the withering of our world as predicted by all the leading scientists of our time is frightening. That I might have to explain to a young person in 2056 what we as a society were thinking by not addressing the problem is unimaginable.
You owe it to yourself to see An Inconvenient Truth.
Nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home