Saturday, October 25, 2008

I, Robot - A Retro-Review-


     Once again I'm bringing you faithful readers a film I didn't catch for one reason or another. I, Robot was made in 2004 and I didn't see it then, but I was probably doing something really important. *sigh* (cut to me crying at the end of my bed with my head in my hands. But thats another story!)
     The good news is that bringing this film to you now feels like perfect timing because it deals with some very relevant themes. In fact, although this flick was a financial success I think it was ahead of its time. Here's why;
THEMES DEALT WITH IN I, ROBOT
1: How the human race is neglecting the planet and ultimately the human race itself.
2: Prejudice and the definition of 'slavery'. 
3: The 'Right To Choose' debate; ie; What defines 'life'?

Now first of all if anyone is concerned about the film's assertion that we'll be living with intelligent robots in 31 years let me point to the work being done by Honda of Japan. I specifically point to ASIMO. Google it. As incredible as it is it'll set your mind at ease in the wake of this movie. Think Reality is to White as Fiction is to Black. Honda's robots are really fucking cool, but when you see them in action... you got nothing to worry about. 

Here's the poop:
Will Smith plays Detective Spooner from future Chicago's homocide department. He distrusts all robots. This is Smith in typical trademark glib, cooler-than-thou mode, and buff beyond all necessity! He hates robots and dammit if he's old fashioned, he'd rather have his grandma cook for him than some bastard old robot! Well now he lives in a society where robots are as common as iPods! But unlike iPods they follow three basic rules: 
1: Never Harm A Human
2: Obey any order given by a human unless it violates rule no. 1
3: Protect yourself at all costs unless it violates rules 1 or 2.
Well it just so happens his life was saved by a robot and he dreams of it nightly. 
So why the animosity? 
Well, the creator of the newest and best generation of robots (and indeed the father of all modern robotics) has committed suicide and as his last act summoned Spooner to the scene. 
From here an excellent line is delivered by the deceased creator, Dr. Alfred Lanning (the great James Cromwell), to Spooner when he says, "Everything that follows is a result of what you see here." 
This is the first piece in the foreshadowing puzzle that plays out through the entire film! Clues are dropped constantly, and I suspect this wasn't a directorial choice because they felt like they were meant to be more subtle than they were, but worked out to be more significant than they were intended!
From here Spooner investigates the scene and quickly finds a robot among the good doctor's things which doesn't want to comply to the usual commands. A suspect is identified, but wait; is it possible for a robot to violate the 3 laws and kill a human?
Aha! 
You'll have to find out for yourself!
But not without me paying tribute to a film that made this one possible:
Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey
Obviously a much more subtle meditation on the theme of man-made creations gone wild, Kubrick's film elevated the genre of science fiction and made it an acceptable mainstream subject. 
And keep in mind these facts you nerds: 2001 was made in 1968, the screenplay written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke in 1965.
I, Robot is an original story very loosely based on several short stories of Isaac Asimov.

Available on DVD everywhere

2 Comments:

Blogger birdcagehype said...

I can't wait to have a robot clean my house.

2:25 pm  
Blogger Oliver said...

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov is an amazing book, and I think it's better than the movie. Everyone should read Isaac Asimov. But I like the movie too.

10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home